Wandering Center

Suggestions for improvement, bug reporting, and others.

Wandering Center

Postby tibsfox on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 am

What if center wasn't center?

Center is an interesting place, it changes often, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the worse. I'm all for the better, but could do without the worse. By worse I'm specifically talking about blocking out large portions of work with empty shapes.

Why is it that center gets spammed and other locations not so much? Well you start at center, and people are lazy and will just start spamming what is there. There are a few ways you could prevent this. Locking down existing art would be one way, but I don't really like that Idea. Only because by locking art you also lock out the ability to constructively add to others work. Another way would be to move center.

So what if center moved around a bit. I'm not talking about changing the co-ordinates, just where center is mapped to. You could move it to a nearby location that is empty or only has a few drawings. That way when you first load the page you are presented with a new area. I think that this would also help spread things out some more, instead of constantly covering up other art.

I don't really like the idea of locking things down, I think it inhibits collaboration. Sure you could do things with friends lists and what not but that would still lock out people you don't know from being able to easily jump in. Leonardo da Vinci said, "Art is never finished, only abandoned". Would not locking art down be forced abandonment?

So how do you save something you like? You can play back the drawing over an area so the ability to have multiple layers exists. What if you could create a snapshot of a co-ordinate? You then would be able to share that "picture" as it is at that time with others by linking a co-ordinate and a time. A user could have a list of favorite places in their profile with timestamps of when they were created. Others could see what it looked like when you created the favorite not as it looks now.

Food for thought,
-Tibs
tibsfox

Re: Wandering Center

Postby Smotfog on Wed May 12, 2010 2:24 pm

This idea is great! But on the other hand, I think, so it would be more difficult to watch out for vandalism... so there should be, maybe, 4 centers 1000 to every direction.
Smotfog

Return to WebCanvas Feedback!